Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Happy 400th Birthday KJV

This year (2011) marks the 400th birthday of the King James Version of the Bible. Most of us grew up reading and memorizing many poetic passages/verses from this marvelous translation of scripture. And, while I do not believe the KJV is the only Bible in the English language worthy of use by Christians, it has a storied history that deserves to be studied by all serious students of the Bible. I have included a short video by a professor in England that gives some of this history concerning the KJV. I hope you will enjoy this resource and that it will prompt you to want to learn more about the history of the English Bible. (I have an earlier blog post from 2010 that includes the names of two books on this subject that I read during that time period - http://wvrevdave.blogspot.com/2010/09/one-bible-only_16.html)

By the way, I personally like the English Standard Version, New American Standard Version, and the New King James Version as my preferred English translations, though I still often find myself quoting the old KJV.





- Posted from my iPad