Thursday, October 18, 2012

Consider This...

I have much more to say to you, but I don’t want to do it with paper and ink. For I hope to visit you soon and talk with you face to face. Then our joy will be complete. (2 John 1:12 NLT)

I have much more to say to you, but I don’t want to write it with pen and ink. For I hope to see you soon, and then we will talk face to face. (3 John 1:13, 14 NLT)

Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Myspace, blogs, etc., etc., can all be wonderful tools of communication, but they will never replace the value of sharing life “face to face.” John understood that “paper [pen] and ink” (first century technology) were necessary to communicate at times, but he further indicated that only being with his readers could make his “joy...complete." We are becoming an increasingly isolated society projecting a “virtual image” of ourselves rather than building meaningful and authentic relationships in community. It’s time we placed some limits on our computer time, stopped texting for awhile, turned off the video games, and started sharing “real life” with our family and friends.