Thursday, July 08, 2010

When depression pays you a visit

I read this article by Clayton King and thought of some of my ministry friends. It may be that the article will help people beyond those in ministry, but it's especially applicable to my fellow ministers. It's a wonderful life serving Jesus full-time, but it is demanding and requires your all. Pastors need rest and time away, too. Never complain about your pastor being gone for vacation or taking some time off. Most ministers will find it difficult to have a vacation at home and will need to get out of town to rest. It would be nice if more people encouraged their pastors to do this and offered them ways to make it happen. It would be an investment in their good health and future effective ministry. Your pastor may be God's man, but he still has feet of clay.

----------

Clayton King writes...

About a year ago, I experienced something brand new. I had heard about it. Several of my friends and family members had dealt with it. Lots of people were talking about it but it had never been more than a conversation piece or an "issue" in my mind. It was something that affected other people, but not me. But when it showed up in my life, it became immediately clear to me that it was real, not a fabrication or a farce.
Depression.
I didn't know what was wrong at first. I tried to shake it by doing all the things I usually did when I would get down for a few days. Running. Basketball. Movies. Books. Strong coffee. Nothing worked. I felt tight in my chest, short of breath, and sleep became nearly impossible. I survived the busiest part of my summer by praying, fasting, talking to some friends, and as silly as it may sound, listening to lots of classical music in my study.
At about the 2 month point, in desperation I called a friend who had struggled with depression and he hooked me up with a fantastic Christian counselor who diagnosed me in about 3 minutes. I was relieved to hear that my depression was not clinical, but more "situational." It simply meant that I didn't need medication. I needed a reality check and a lifestyle change. Thankfully, I caught it and dealt with it early on before it got worse. The bullet points were fairly simple and straightforward.
1. My depression was a result of my hectic, busy, go-go-go lifestyle. My body was depleted of the chemicals that it needed to feel balanced, happy, and at peace.
2. I would not get better until I slowed down, simplified my life, connected more regularly with God and my family, and unplugged from all the wonderful things (all of them ministry related) that kept me ramped up mentally and emotionally.
3. I had to stop drinking coffee. It was my crutch. It kept me "in the game" when I had lots to do by helping my mind ignore my body's fatigue. Yet the caffeine stayed with me and wouldn't allow me to ever get good rest.
So the big take-away for me was the word UNPLUG. That was what I had to do. Less noise, fewer phone calls, shorter to-do lists, and more time doing things I enjoyed. But how was I supposed to do that? I hadn't lived a life like that since middle school.
I started with a few small things.
  • I began going to bed earlier, as in when I got sleepy (usually before 10 PM)
  • I immediatly switched to decaf. The results were astonishing.
  • I began exercising more regulary and moderately instead of the 3 hour intensive workout twice a week.
  • I started journaling again, writing about my feelings and emotions and thoughts.
  • I began reading books again for pleasure, not just for theology or sermon material.
  • I talked openly and honestly with my closest friends about my struggle.
  • I took fewer events which allowed me to stay home more and travel less, giving me more time with my family.
  • I read everything I could about adrenaline fatigue and pastoral burnout.
  • I spent more time in prayer, worship, and God's word.
  • I cut back on writing, blogging, emailing, Tweeting, Facebooking, and surfing the pages and blogs I would frequent constantly.
A funny thing happened. I got better. The fog lifted and the skies cleared and my mind began working correctly again. I began to sleep and enjoy time away from ministry. I became happy and less irritable. And I realized that the only way I could pre-empt the future bouts of depression that would certainly come would be to repeat these steps until they became natural and habitual. That is why I have not blogged in a while and did very little social networking last week. I was on vacation at the beach with my family which meant I didn't need to be tethered to technology.
I thought I was going crazy. If I hadn't talked to people about it, the isolation would have exasperated the situation and I may have lost my mind wondering what in the world was wrong with me. But by dealing with it head on and quickly, I gained understanding and perspective. Now I am poised to respond when the feelings of doom encroach upon my life. I pray this can be an encouragment to you.

http://claytonking.com/blog/when-depression-pays-you-a-visit/