Monday, July 05, 2010

Family Vacation 2010

(My last beach picture of my dad standing on our condo deck.)

For as long as I can remember I have gone to the beach with my family for summer vacation. I can count on one hand the number of times we did not follow this tradition and those were because of lean financial times. Now, nearly fifty-three years later I’m still following the tradition my dad and mom taught us as our family gathers again for our summer fun in the sun.

This year is different, however. Until this summer my dad has always been with us for every family celebration like this one. In December of last year my beloved dad and patriarch of our family graduated to Heaven. I sat tonight on the deck of our condo listening to the ocean waves crashing on shore and it really struck me just how much I miss him.

The summer before his passing we had to change rooms because of a plumbing problem in the condo we rented. At first this was a huge inconvenience, but it ultimately worked out really nice for our family. Our new condo had a deck the full length of the room that overlooked the ocean with views of the ocean from all three bedrooms. It was the nicest room my two children and their families had ever enjoyed together. Because the room was so much more roomy, we invited the rest of my family (parents, sisters and their families) to join us for supper in our condo for several of the remaining nights. Dad and I sat on our porch on at least three of these occasions while we ate meals together and talked about things. Most of them were trivial in nature, but it’s not always the subject matter of your conversation that’s important as much as it is about being in the presence of someone you love. I can still see him as he looked out at the sea, listening to it’s powerful, but calming sounds. Children played on the sand, while their parents rested in their beach chairs. The sun was beautiful and the wind blew just enough to keep us from being too hot. And the food was delicious, too.

I can still hear my dad’s voice and see his gaze into the seemingly endless distance. His memory had begun to lapse some, but it was still very good. And, he was struggling physically with pain, which made his presence all the more precious. This was his tradition that he had taught us and none of us believed that he was going to let anything keep him away. Family gatherings at the beach were a priority for him and my mom. That’s why all of his children and grandchildren have made it a priority for our families.

This year is no exception. Since early this year we have been planning and anticipating this year’s family vacation. Being able to spend an entire week together is still an immense joy and a tradition we intend on preserving. Some of my fondest memories are of the times we’ve spent together at the beach laughing and playing in the sand. Dad had an old Brownie movie camera that he used to record many of those memories when we were kids and we can still watch them today. We’re making new memories this year, but it’s different without my dad being here. I miss him. I miss his love, his encouragement, his wisdom, and most of all...his presence.

Dad, we are going to carry on with our tradition you started a long time ago. The truth is, it doesn’t really matter where we gather to spend a week together. It’s about being a family! Thanks, dad, for making our family your priority!! And, I’ll always love the beach because of you.