Saturday, January 24, 2015

Home Going Tributes For Artie Ingle Smith

ARTIE INGLE SMITH, 83, of Barboursville, W.Va., went home to be with her Lord on Wednesday, January 21, 2015, at Cabell Health Care Center, Culloden, W.Va. She was born October 7, 1931, in Chattanooga, Tenn., the daughter of the late Samuel Carlos and Ethel Flonnie DeJounette Ingle. In addition to her parents, in 1978 she was also preceded in death by her husband Ralph Eugene "Gene" Smith and one brother Samuel Ingle. She was a member of Mt. Vernon Baptist Church in Stockbridge, Ga., and retired from the Mt. Vernon Christian School where she served the Lord for many years. She was also a faithful member of Lewis Memorial Baptist Church, Huntington, W.Va. Artie is survived by her daughter and son-in-law Mary Elizabeth and Dr. David Lemming of Huntington, W.Va; grandchildren Rebekah Lemming Shaffer (Jeremy) of Huntington, W.Va., and Jon David Lemming (Gloria Kathryn) of Dallas, Texas; great-grandchildren Grace Caroline and Luke Charles Shaffer and Andrew Cashel Lemming. Funeral services will be conducted at 3 p.m. on Saturday, January 24, 2015, at Lewis Memorial Baptist Church with Dr. Tim Yates officiating. The family would like to thank the staff at Cabell Health Care Center, Culloden, W.Va., for their excellent care. The family will receive friends from 1 p.m. until service time on Saturday at the church. Burial will be conducted on Monday, January 26, 2015, at the Kelly-Mosley Cemetery in McDonough, Ga. In lieu of flowers, the family requests that memorial donations be made to the World Missions Program at Lewis Memorial Baptist Church at 5385 W. Pea Ridge Road, Huntington, WV 25705. Henson & Kitchen Mortuary, Barboursville, W.Va., is caring for the family.
___________________________

Below are the tributes to be offered today at Artie Smith's memorial service by our two children in remembrance of her. Today she is at home in Heaven awaiting the rest of us to arrive and be together again for eternity...all because of JESUS!

Words of tribute from our daughter, Rebekah Lemming Shaffer:
Just two short days into my life tragedy struck and that moment that everyone prays they never face became reality for my parents and my grandmother.  My grandfather, only 44, was taken from us without warning. A morning kiss goodbye for work became the last.  And the day you celebrate the homecoming of a new baby became the home-going of my grandfather. 

And what do I remember about that day? I don’t remember because I was too little to understand for a very long time.  So while my parents and my Grandmama were grieving I was growing. While they remember the tragedy I can only remember love.  Gifted into this beautiful family, my Grandmama continued to live her life without the love of her life. The timing of this tragedy caused a unique bond to form between me and her.  In a time of loss there was new life and new hope. 

My memories are only filled with joy and love, with a grandmother who was always smiling.  What a strong faith and hope in Christ she must have had to live her life in joy despite her pain. 

Though there are countless beautiful things I could say about Grandmama, the one that keeps playing over and over in my mind is her servant’s heart.  She was a faithful servant of her Savior.  I watched her love her neighbor as herself, give of herself when she didn’t have it, and love her family fully. 

There wasn’t a greater moment in my childhood than to spend with her.  The precious things she taught me play over in my mind every day.  Wisdom she shared with me that seemed like playing as a child has now become files saved in my heart to use when faced with difficult trials.   

Today is not final, though it may feel that way. Recently my Bible study has been studying Revelation and prophecy. In this study we laid out all future events on a timeline.  When you look at that timeline and point to where we are today it seems very very small when compared to God’s plan for the future.  And what we realize is that though this time of earthly separation seems long to us, it is really only a short time compared to the eternity we will spend reunited.  Instead of focusing on her absence here, we can think on the reunion she had with her beloved who she’s waited to be with for 36 years. Imagine that moment when she joined her loved ones who went before her.  Imagine the radiant joy she felt as she opened her eyes in the presence of her Savior. 
Words of tribute from our son, Jon David Lemming:
It’s easy to think of words to describe my grandmother: gentle, kind, caring, godly, humble, sacrificial, modest, unpretentious, faithful, virtuous, and the list could go on. But what I can’t think of is anything negative. Not one thing. This is remarkable to me. I remember no fault in her. No anger. No deception. No brooding. She was so godly in my eyes. I believe that no one is perfect, but she came as close to that mark as anyone I’ve known.

The two things that I admired the most about my grandmother were her rock-solid faith in Jesus Christ and her simplicity. In life, suffering is often the invitation to grow deep roots into our faith. For many it’s a time to abandon their faith, but for others (like Grandmama) it is an opportunity to lean in to it. It’s an invitation to trust God more. When my grandmother lost her husband, she chose to lean in. She chose to trust. I believe this was the primary occasion from which my grandmother’s faith in Christ became rock-solid.

And hear me as I say this: This is a treasure to me. My grandmother didn’t have wealth. She didn’t have much to leave behind. But to me she has left all the treasures of the world, namely, her faith. Her example. Her testimony. This is the inheritance I have received from the godliest woman I’ve known.

I also loved her simplicity. I used to love going to her small Georgia house in the country. It was like another world to me: tall trees and pine needles covering the ground and a long dirt road that led to a modest, 2-bedroom home. I have so many endearing memories there, memories of laughter and play and exploration. It was so simple and modest. Her life was this way too. Now, as an adult, I look back to those days, longing for that simplicity. I wish I could spend just one more day there, with her.

This is a day of sorrow, but also a day of rejoicing. It’s strange to write about her in the past tense. But truthfully, this is contrary to what we believe. We should speak of her in the present, because she is alive—alive in Christ. She is well—and so much more. She is with Christ. She is living and now waiting. She waits for that day (as we all do) when Jesus will finally and completely rescue and renew all that is lost and broken and reunite body and soul. For this day we long and pray, “Come, Lord Jesus.”

I love you, Grandmama.