Friday, November 30, 2012

Thirty Years of Ministry at LMBC

For the past 30 years (our first Sunday was December 5, 1982) my wife and I have worked side-by-side in the ministry at the only church I have ever pastored. I served for nearly five years as a youth pastor in Georgia while I received my ministry training and those years were a wonderful experience of growing and learning. But, nothing could ever compare to the experience of leading a congregation of believers to follow Jesus Christ and being fully responsible to "shepherd" all the people God places in your trust.

I certainly have made my share of mistakes and if there was a redo button I would have used it during my tenure...I promise! However, I don’t feel that my ministry has been filled with lots of regrets and disappointments, but with an overwhelming number of opportunities and blessings. No pastor can accurately judge his own success or failure in the work he does, as only the Lord knows the full extent of his obedience and fulfillment of the divine plan. I do pray, though, that my life is making a difference and that people come to know the Lord, continue to walk with the Lord, and are encouraged in the Lord, because I serve Jesus Christ in vocational ministry.

Working with me in everything God has been doing in our church is my beloved wife. Without her I would have never been able to assume the responsibility God entrusted to me all those years ago. As the pastor of the church I naturally have a very visible role of leadership among God's people, but as my partner in ministry, my wife has worked just as hard, prayed just as much, and given of herself more than you'll ever know. She is as much called to the work as I am called and I can't thank God enough for her depth of spirituality, strength, courage, fortitude, determination, encouragement, love, compassion, understanding, etc., etc. The forgotten "heroes" of the ministry are the women serving with their husbands in local churches, whether in the states or around the world.

Christine Hoover writes poignantly about being a pastor's wife. She says, "I want you to know that I am equally as passionate about the church as my husband and equally as called into ministry. My husband’s role looks vastly different than mine, and I am not as 'out front' as him, but I am just as involved, concerned, and vital to the ministry God has given us..."

Hopefully there isn't any pastor (or church member) that would disagree with her statement, but I know that I can wholeheartedly affirm her conviction. After 30 years of serving Christ together in one place, the one thing I wish more people had realized is the significance of my wife's ministry to our church.

My most important ministry co-laborer through these years has been my wife, whether in the "trenches," on the "mountaintops," or through some "deep valleys," and I want to thank her for being a true "soldier of the cross." She is the godliest example I know of what it means to be a servant of Jesus Christ.

Do yourself a favor and read the rest of Christine Hoover’s article about the pastor’s wife so you will understand just how important her role is to the ministry of the local church.

The following link will take you to her complete article:

http://www.incourage.me/?s=What+Your+Pastor%E2%80%99s+Wife+Wants+You+To+Know&x=13&y=2